Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Transcript of an interview for "Mayfield Exposed!"

The following is a transcript of an interview with Paulina Su (P) and Stephanie Hagendorn (S), with the Rogers program daytime (H), on 23 October 2006. (B signifys both Paulina and Stephanie simultaneously.)



H: Welcome back to “daytime” everyone, joining me now are Paulina Su and Stephanie Hagendorn from Mayfield Secondary School. Well thank you so much for being here. And we are talking about “Mayfield Exposed!”
S: Yeah.
H: So how are we exposing Mayfield? What's that all about?
S: Basically we're just showing different artists in Mayfield, their artwork, and just kinda getting their artwork out there, so people can see what we're doing, at Mayfield.
H: So what are you guys doing at Mayfield?
P: A lot of, um, art. And we do a lot of variety of art, from collages to photography to printmaking, Mayfield covers all the bases of art, so if you're really into art, it's a really good school to get into.
H: Excellent, so you get to try a little something new.
B: Yeah
S: 'Cause at home you usually just have the basics like paint...
P: ...and pencil crayons...
S: ...and pencil crayons, and stuff like that. But when you go to Mayfield, you get to mold clay, do printmaking, we're doing like intaglio and linograph, it's really interesting.
H: Mm. You lost me, intaglio.
B: (chuckles)
H: Some art vernacular there. Now you guys have also worked with a kiln, and fired things, and you say there are chemicals.
S: Yeah. (chuckles)
H: See was saying 'we work with chemicals!' So what kind of stuff do you do with that?
P: We do photography, we do it in a dark room, a room that's like totally pitch black, and you feel your way through things, and you make a picture with a photogram, and then you expose it using chemicals. So it's not your basical... basic, like point and shoot camera.
H: So you work with 35mm film and that kind of stuff?
S: Yeah.
H: That's exciting, I can relate to that. That was something I learned when I was in high school as well. Now, you're having an exhibit, can people go now, or?
S: Oh yeah.
P: Yeah, it's still up, it's on until November 10th, and yeah.
H: So tell us a little bit, Stephanie, about what you have pictured at the exhibit?
S: I have photographs featured that I had taken from my grade 10 art course, and it was my favourite course, so I was really into it, and we really drove my family and my mom for hours looking for different landscapes and stuff and it was really fun. Um, I used to have a photomontage and it was took out, unfortunately, and I also have one drawing.
H: Well that's really good, and so you guys experiment with a couple different mediums there? And what about you Paulina?
P: There's a lot of my pencil crayon work, because I love pencil crayon, because it's so precise, and it's so precise and exact, but, um, yeah. And our art show is on at Shoppers World, it's at Fridge Front Gallery, which is owned by Visual Arts Brampton, the studios that we went to and that's how we met.
H: Okay, so you guys met at Visual Arts Brampton?
S: Yeah.
H: So now, is this art, is that something that you'd like to pursue in the future, or is this just a fun past time for you?
S: For me personally, if I can find something within the art field that I like, I will pursue it. Until then, no, not really.
H: What about you, Paulina?
P: I think I'd like to go into the art field. I'd like to be an art teacher or an English teacher when I grow up. 'Cause I've like already grown up with art, I've done it since when I was little, it's like a comfort spot for me.
H: Ah, wonderful. Now I know at Mayfield you get to try a lot of different types of art. Is there something in particular that you haven't tried yet, that you would like to?
S: Thinking about it, I don't think, there's a few other things that we haven't done yet, that we're going to do eventually, but um, no, not really. Maybe like using really big photograms.
H: What's a photogram?
S: A photogram is a cameraless photo. Like, you get the sheet of paper to use for the enlarger, but it's like a really big one. And you get to put stuff on it and just shine light on it, and then develop it, and that's how you get the picture, but it's not like details, it's just like a silhoutte.
P: Yeah.
S: ...so it's really cool.
H: So how important do you think it is to have an art program like Mayfield has, at your school? How is that for you guys?
S: Um, it's important that then people who like art can go further with it...
P: Yeah, get to know it a bit more. And if you really want to go into the field, it really helps your, like, resume or anything, like, if you go into university for art then they really consider Mayfield, 'cause you've been doing it for every year that you were at high school.
H: Right. Thank you so much for joining us, I really appreciate it, “Mayfield Exposed!”, check it out!